It’s the most wonderful time of the year…strawberry season! If you’re like us, you’ve already purchased a number of flats, your freezer is full and your fridge is overflowing! So in searching for new ways to use up some of these insanely delicious berries, I’ve come up with a tasty muffin recipe for you all to enjoy.
Besides being delicious, these muffins also offer some nutritional benefits. The steel cut oats are a good source of soluble fibre and non-heme iron, and the strawberries provide vitamin C, which aids in the absorption of iron. So pick up some local strawberries, bake and enjoy!
¾ cup whole wheat flour
¾ cup quick oats (I used Bob’s steel cut quick oats)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1 Tbsp melted coconut oil (or melted butter)
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 medium sized bananas mashed
2 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
¼ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 cup diced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 325°F, and lightly coat muffin cups with melted oil (makes 24 mini muffins, or 12 regular sized muffins).
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut oil, egg and vanilla. Stir in mashed banana, honey and yogurt, mixing thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring just until incorporated. Fold in the strawberries.
- Divide the mixture into muffin trays, and bake 15-17 minutes for mini muffins, 22-24 for regular sized muffins, or until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
~ love fully and fuel simply, ATS