Sometimes the best things are the ones you didn’t plan at all! Enter, the turkey taco bowl! In all honesty, this recipe was completely unplanned and made on a whim, but it turned out so well that I just needed to share. The recipe includes all the flavours of the ever-popular taco, with some extra veg to kick up the nutritional value!
2 large zucchini
salt & pepper (to taste)
2 large bell peppers (I used red and orange)
garlic seasoning (I used this one here)
1 lb lean minced/ground turkey
Homemade taco seasoning to taste, depending on how spicy you like your tacos. I honestly can’t remember which one I used when I made my mix, but something similar to this (homemade taco seasoning)
1/2 cup regular hummus
1 Tbsp lemon juice
Cheese of choice
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Use spiralizer to cut zucchini. Toss spirals with some salt, and let drain in a colander for about 1/2 hour, pressing on it and stirring gently a couple of times.
- Meanwhile, cut bell peppers into strips and toss with avocado oil (about 1 Tbsp) and garlic seasoning to taste. Place on baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake until tender, approximately 20-25 minutes, flipping once part way through.
- Sauté turkey on medium heat and add taco seasoning to taste. Meat should be cooked to a temperature of 74ºC (165ºF).
- Combine hummus and lemon juice for dressing.
- Sauté zucchini noodles in avocado oil (about 1 Tbsp) on medium heat, for about 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate individually, adding zucchini noodles, peppers and turkey. Top with avocado, grated cheese of your choice and lemon hummus dressing. Add other toppings if desired, which may include salsa, plain Greek yogurt (a healthier alternative to sour cream), or crumbled corn chips.
~ love fully and fuel simply, ATS